Tuesday, February 1, 2011

New Level Of Pain

Today hurt!  The training plan called for something I've never done on the bike.  My coach wanted me to keep my heart rate at close to red-line for 5 minutes, followed by another 5 minutes at about 10-15 beats slower.  Then he graciously gave me 2 minutes of recovery before I had to do it again and then a third time.  I'm afraid to even ask what's in store for future workouts.  Up to now I just thought some of the workouts were hard.  Now I understand why clients sometimes yell at their coaches!

There was a lot of self-doubt during this workout, especially watching how slowly seconds actually tick away.  I did notice that the 5 minute follow-up was easier.  During earlier workouts, I had thought that heart rate was really difficult to maintain.  Now, and after almost passing out, I realize that once you push to a new level, the old levels are manageable.  I am hoping that was my coach's intent, instead of him getting some sort of sick pleasure at my suffering.

I feel good today.  Accomplished.  But I'm not ready to say "Thank you" to my coach just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment