Thursday, June 23, 2011

Thank You Ronnie!

A couple of Saturday's ago, I joined my training group on a long bike ride.  As a youth minister, my schedule gets really busy during the summer months, so I was commenting to a fellow rider on different strategies to complete my prescribed workouts during hectic times.  He told me not to stress about it because my ministry as a husband, dad, and minister will always be more important than my training.  I needed that reminder.  Thank you Ronnie!

Something else happened on that ride that taught me the importance of working out with partners.  My friend had already completed his training for that day, so he was just going along for the ride with us.  I had several threshold repeats to perform, so he stayed right by my side throughout the workout.  He kept me on the right cadence and heart-rate zone the whole time, which meant telling me when to shift, when to push harder, and when to relax.  I had a computer that told me the same information but it's different when your computer has skin on.  Thank you Ronnie!

Truth be told, when I am by myself, I tend not to push as hard as with others.  There is no encouragement to hang on, keep going, don't let up, good job, way to go, almost there, etc.  The teens I work with always tell me their faith walk would be easier if God had skin on; someone they could actually see in person.  Could it be that God shows Himself through others?  No doubt.  Thank you Ronnie!

No comments:

Post a Comment