Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ice Baths


Talk about pain!  I've read about the benefits of ice baths and even took a few years ago when training for a marathon.  Now I remember why I don't like them.  They hurt, but only for the first couple of minutes.  Once the numbness sets in, it's not so bad and the soak only lasts for 10 minutes.  My coach suggested I get back into the ice bath habit because it's one of the best ways to flush out lactic acid buildup. 

My next one will be different though.  Instead of dumping 4 large bags in the water and crawling in, I will get in the water first before adding the ice.  The shock was incredibly painful all at once.  I loved the feeling afterward though; the blood vessels opening up and flushing out the toxins.  Apparently, this speeds up the recovery period after a long 3 hour bike ride and 30 minute brick run.  Anything that helps, I'm game for trying.

Now if I could just have that attitude in life.  We all would rather avoid pain but sometimes the pain of one thing is worth the greater good of another.  It makes enduring momentary affliction more palatable, as noted by the Apostle Paul in 2 Corinthians 4:17, "For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory..."  It's not that I like pain.  It would be so much easier if life added pain "one cube at a time;" but if I know there is a benefit, I don't have to dwell on the temporary. 

1 comment:

  1. well, I will have to try the second approach to ice baths again. I do remember how good it feels afterward.

    no, I have to say I don't like the pain and affliction which is not feeling so temporary right now. and even added "one cube at a time" (or sometimes feels like it's all dumped on at once) it still really hurts and have yet to feel the good feeling of flushing out the toxins.....ready for that part to set in...

    ReplyDelete