Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Incentive


The month of July was a particularly rough month.  My resolve and my faith are being tested.  Mechanical failures on the bike.  A two-flat day on a 3 hour ride.  Emotional roller-coaster rides in important relationships.  Injury.  Bad eating.  Missed workouts.  Job stress.  Summer colds.  I could go on and on because I am good at focusing on half empty glasses.  At least I recognize it, which is the first step in overcoming it.  Still, I am desperately searching for some incentive.

As my training load increases, I am constantly creating negative energy with serious doubts that I can accomplish my goal.  I suppose it stems from everything else happening in my life; it all seems connected.  There is so much to “fix” that I get overwhelmed, which doesn’t help the spiral effect.  So, I have a choice; I can quit or press on.  Neither choice appeals to me at the moment, but I have decided the press on.  I will do what I can; stick to the plan; adapt; and overcome.  In effect, I need to create incentive by increasing the good things and eliminating the bad ones; one thing and one day at a time.

If I fail, then so be it.  One thing is for sure.  Failure is an event, not a person.  The only real failure is in giving up.  Who knows where this road will lead.  At least it’s better than sitting on the couch wallowing in self-pity.  Let’s see what the month of August brings…

No comments:

Post a Comment